Rathfarnham is a Southside suburb of Dublin. It is located to the south of Terenure, and to the east of Templeogue, and is in the postal districts of Dublin 14 and 16. It is within the administrative areas of both Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown and South Dublin County Councils.
The area of Rathfarnham includes Whitechurch, Nutgrove, Ballyboden and Ballyroan. Historical sites in the Rathfarnham townlands include: Kilmashogue, Mount Venus, Tibradden and Taylors Grange.
Rathfarnham is home to several notable historic buildings, including Rathfarnham Castle and Loreto Abbey.
Rathfarnham has many beautiful parks such as Marley, St.Endas and Bushy Park
Rathfarnham has a wide range of shops and businesses, including two bank branches, notably in the Nutgrove Shopping Centre, which also hosts one of Dublin’s Motor Tax offices. The area’s other shopping centre is the small Rathfarnham Shopping Centre. The area also has a Garda Station and two post offices, and is home to the city’s main animal shelter.
Marlay Park is a large open parkland, with a craft centre near the old “big house”; the park hosts major concerts every year. Aside from St. Enda’s, Dodder Park and Bushy Park and small green spaces, the area also hosts two golf clubs.
Both fine buildings of Loreto Abbey and Rathfarnham Castle also provide amenity value.
Organisations and Sport
- Rathfarnham is home to the Dublin Scout Troops and the Rathfarnham Girl Guides
- The area is also home to the Rathfarnham Concert Band
- For Gaelic sports, there is the Ballyboden St. Enda’s GAA Club
- Rathfarnham has a number of soccer teams including Nutgrove Celtic, Rathfarnham Punters, Rathfarnham Rovers, Leicester Celtic Broadford Rovers, and Whitechurch United.
- Rathfarnham has a number of boxing clubs including Whitechurch Boxing Club
Rathfarnham Schools and Colleges
- Sancta Maria College
- St Columba’s College
- Colaiste EannaWesley College
- Rathfarnham Educate together
- Ballyroan Boys National School
- Loreto High School
- Rockbrook Park School
- SN Bhaile Eamonn
- Scoil Mhuire Boys
- St Patricks GNS
- The Dublin guitar school
- White Church National School
Bus Routes for Rathfarnham
- 15n (nitelink)
- 48n (nitelink)
For more information visit www.dublinbus.ie